Civil experts will discuss prospects for cooperation between the BRICS countries in the development, production and marketing of COVID-19 vaccines
September 4, 2020
On Monday, September 7, 2020, within the framework of the second round of discussion to prepare recommendations to the BRICS leaders from the members of the «Food and Healthcare» group of the BRICS Civil Forum, an international online round table «The BRICS countries and the issue of access to the COVID-19 vaccine» will be held.
Topics to be discussed include an overview of the current COVID-19 vaccine development landscape; opportunities and challenges for scaling-up access to vaccines given clinical trial timelines, intellectual property implications, financial constraints as well as limitations linked to manufacturing capacities; areas for collaboration within the BRICS countries in the field of vaccine development, manufacturing, and marketing.
Anton Zykov, GR Adviser, MSF Moscow office, Russia
Sergey Golovin, IP and Access Lead, Treatment Preparedness Coalition in Eastern Europe and Central Asia (ITPCru), Co-chair of Civil BRICS «Food and Healthcare» Working Group, Russia
Agenda and Speakers:
- Introduction from co-moderators: 20 minutes.
- Ari Sitas, OMS Gutenberg Chair, Strasbourg and Emeritus Professor of University of Cape Town, Co-chair of Civil BRICS «Food and Healthcare» Working Group, South Africa. Presentation title: TBD 15 minutes + 5 minutes for Q&A.
- Felipe de Carvalho, MSF, Brazil. Presentation title: COVID-19 vaccines in the context of economic inequality. What can the BRICS countries do to ensure universal access? 15 minutes + 5 minutes for Q&A.
- K.M. Gopakumar, Third World Network, India. Presentation title: COVID-19 vaccine development and intellectual property issues. Overview of the existing vaccine initiatives and implications around them. 15 minutes + 5 minutes for Q&A.
- Moderated Discussion – 20 minutes.
The discussion will result in proposals that will be included in the package of recommendations for the leaders of the BRICS countries from the Civil BRICS Forum.
9.30 – 11.00 AM (Brasilia)
3.30 – 5.00 PM (Moscow)
6.00 – 7.30 PM (New Delhi)
8.30 – 10.00 PM (Beijing)
2.30 – 4.00 PM (Pretoria)
Watch the live broadcast of the round table «The BRICS countries and the issue of access to the COVID-19 vaccine» on the YouTube channel of the National Committee on BRICS Research
More about Civil BRICS Forum http://civilbrics.ru/en/main-page/